The new design eliminated the sloping corner trusses for a single pole supporting the peak of the roof. The lack of corner supports proved to be my undoing.
The new shelter was supported at the peak of the roof and by the horizontal fascia trusses at the bottom of the roof. There were no longer any sloping ridge trusses at the corner. If you think about it, the problems with the roof of the first truss happened at the point farthest away from any support: The middle of the roof at the base, midway between the ridge trusses. Starting in late July and continuing into August, we had a series of severe thunderstorms on a regular basis. Several of them gave us rainfall of 2-3 inches an hour and flooding problems in many towns. The EZ-Up seemed to be doing fine at first, but one day when I looked out the window I could see that water from the severe storm du jour had collected at the base of the roof on either side of the corner seem at the ridge. So much water had collected the roof was sagging down so I could see the bottom of this sag below the bottom of the vertical fascia. This meant the roof had sagged 11” or so, well below the 9” fascia. I ran out to try to push up the roof and drain the water and was having trouble lifting it. I did get it to drain, but managed to get soaked in the process. Later in the day I revisited the problem area to see what could be done. The short answer was no. Unlike the old EZ-Up there was no ridge rafter at the corner and so this roof was sagging hear because there was a longer section of unsupported material here than there was in the middle of each roof. It was consistent-each shelter’s roof was ponding where there was the longest piece of unsupported roof. The problem was there was no way to stretch the roof down more at the corners and tape it like I did with the middle of the old roof. The roof had pockets in the corners that seated the roof on the corner posts. These pockets prevented me from pulling the roof down at all. Plus the roof material was stretching each time this happened so there was little hope for improvement.
Meanwhile the ponding started happening at a second, then a third corner and finally all four corners. This all happened in less than a week. I was hoping to make it to the weekend where I could have someone help me take it down. On Wednesday night of this week I headed to bed around 11:30 PM. A few minutes later we started getting bad lightning, thunder and heavy downpours. Since I couldn’t sleep, I got up and looked out my Kitchen window and could see the worst ponding yet and at all four corners. I went outside and struggled to push the roof back up and get the water off. The rains calmed down, but now even with a relatively light rain I was faced with the task of going out every 30 minutes to drain the water that had collected on the roof. At his point I was afraid the EZ-Up would collapse or the roof would rip and the weight of all that water would take out my grills. I was particularly worried about the new Big Green Egg which is ceramic. If it even got knocked over that could crack the ceramic shell and that would not be covered by warranty. So at 2:30 and my 6th trip out to drain the roof, I threw in the towel and attempted to take the shelter down myself. Because it was new and wasn’t stiff at the joints I was able to move it and take it down myself. It is time consuming because you must go from corner to corner and collapse it a little at a time. But at some point when you are wet, you can’t get any wetter so I just kept at it.
So although the story of my second EZ-Up shelter ended badly, my grills are still all in one piece. In an ironic twist, the grill cover for my BGE, which had been backordered, arrived at the dealer the next day. So if you are thinking of using an EZ-Up shelter as a grill shelter the manufacturer and now I don’t recommend it. For a special event where it goes up one day and comes down the next sure. But don’t plan on being able to leave it up for an extended period of time.