The trick is to smoke the meat and not make the meat smoke
GRILL GAZEBO - 2012-Present
Date:September 10, 2012 Info:ClickHERE to jump to additional Info about the grill gazebo and links to blog entries about the origins of this project and using it going forward.
Viewing:Click on THUMBNAIL to bring up larger image with captions. There will also be controls for manual or self running slide show.
NOTE: USE LANDSCAPE MODE ON YOUR MOBILE DEVICE TO BEST VIEW THIS PAGE.
Custom wood Grill Gazebo
This is how I started the summer, with my second 10x10 EZ-Up. The first one lasted 6 years being used 8-9 months a year. Sadly this second redesigned version lasted 3 months.
This suddenly became real when I showed it to the G.C. doing some interior work on my house. He had an unexpected opening in their schedule the next week & promised to give me a good price.
MONDAY: The 4 sonotubes for pouring the 4 corner posts are laid out.
MONDAY: The concrete was mixed one 80 pound bag at a time and then was poured into the sonotube.
MONDAY: The first tube is poured.
TUESDAY: The concrete has cured over night.
TUESDAY: The next step is to set the galvanized post holders to tie the corner posts into concrete footings.
TUESDAY: The four corner posts are set and are cross-braced to keep them squre and plumb while the framing is being added.
TUESDAY: The view from the rear.
TUESDAY: The 2x8 outer support beams are all up and have mitred corners.
TUESDAY: End of day Tuesday. The posts are long and will be trimmed to the roof, with the cutoff pieces being used for some trim details & bracing.
WEDNESDAY: To keep the size (and cost) of the main beams down, I made them a box beam. This also allowed me to let the corner bracing into the box beams for greater rigidity.
WEDNESDAY: At the end of the day Wednesday the box beams, corner bracing & roof rafters were all finished. The decorative touches on the front gable end were finished as well.
The half completed box beam for the front gable viewed from the rear. The front mitered 2x8 that wraps the 4x4 corner posts are in. The top chord from a 2x4 is in place. You can see how the corner braces are let into the box beam.
WEDNESDAY: The work is done for Wednesday.
THURSDAY: The Grill Gazebo as viewed from the street.
THURSDAY: To help costs I kept the detailing to a minimum. The decorative 4x4 fan molding at the gable ends was one of two embellishments. The G.C. rounded off all edges of the 4x4 lumber. This looks nicer and avoids splinters.
THURSDAY: At the end of the day Thursday the roof decking was in place and all that was left was the roofing. This was the second embellisment I allowed myself: using exposed board sheathing instead of plywood.
FRIDAY: The aluminum drip edge has been installed and one half of the roof has been shingled.
FRIDAY: The roof is shingled and the last step is to install the continuous ridge vent and cover it with cap singles.
FRIDAY: The work is done and I can't thank Jay, Bruce (the G.C.) and Mike enough for the work they put in and their attention to detail.
FRIDAY: The grills have been moved in to their new home
FRIDAY: View from the Southwest
FRIDAY: View from the woods on the South side
FRIDAY: View from inside looking North. The black strip at the ridge is the venting material.
FRIDAY: View from inside looking Southwest. The G.C. hand picked the pressure treated lumber to get the best looking pieces because so much of this structure was exposed to view. This was typical of his attention to detail.
SATURDAY: The Grill Gazebo was finished just in time. We got rain Saturday night and the gear stayed high & dry.
SATURDAY: View looking straight up towards the underside of the roof.
SATURDAY View looking West. You can see the gear stayed dry.
SATURDAY: It was rainy outside, but it was high and dry inside the Grill Gazebo.
SUNDAY: This is probably the last work for the short term. I planted 3 inkberry bushes which will grow to twice the height & width & should make a nice screen for the grills.
This is the type of weather that the EZ-Up would not hold up to: 45 MPH wind gusts & torrential rain. The new grill gazebo took it in stride.
When my second EZ-Up shelter didn't last more than it's first summer, I needed a different approach to sheltering my grills. The few prefab solutions wre very pricy and were half the size I needed. Plus they were not necessarily sturdy enough to remain up during the winter. The day after my EZ-Up failed, I drew up rough plans for a shelter made out of pressure treated lumber so I could get a preliminary price on the materials. It was not as pricy as I expected and I started turning the sketches into working drawings to begin working out some of the details.
The last piece of the puzzle was kismet. Work was being done at that time on the inside of the house. The G.C. had a last minute opening in his schedule. Some cabinets were going to be one week late being delivered to another job. My grill gazebo would be a perfect filler for his schedule and said he could give me a real good price on it. So in a little less than a week my grill gazebo went from "wish list item" to paper to reality and I couldn't be happier.
Related Blog Entries:
The blog entries below are related to the design and construction of my grill gazebo/grill shelter.